I know I have said this before but I need to reiterate – I have the most amazing and tolerant family in the world. I mean, yes they have to love me anyway, but the support and care that they have shown me with my diagnosis has been unbelievable. Today’s recipe was made for me by my grandma, ‘Janma’, and proved to me that even the old can be taught new tricks! My grandma is a pro gluten-free baker! The recipe hails from a fellow coeliac; Mandy Vains, so a huge thank you for passing it along, I love it and it will definitely feature in my family’s up and coming gluten-free cookbook!
1 Gluten-free packet cake mix
1 Large tin or 2 small tins of pie apricots or apples (strained)
300ml sour cream
- Melt butter and add to cake mix, stirring until well combined. Press mixture into a pyrex dish.
- Top with pie apricots (or apples).
- Beat the egg. Add the sour cream and beat until combined. Pour this over the apricots (apples).
- Sprinkle with nutmeg (or cinnamon/ mixed spice).
- Bake for 1 hour in a moderate oven, or until golden on top.
Best served with a frothy coffee (Read: A cappuccino from a sachet you buy in boxes at the supermarket).
p.s. Doubting how cool my grandma is? Or how legit she is as a cook? Take her Micky Mouse interpretation for some evidence and get baking!